In 1945 an Austrian, Eugen Spitzer, set up a company in Göteborg with the aim of selling office supplies. The manufacturing of ballpoint pens began on a small scale in a garage on St. Pauli Street. Production subsequently increased and the business moved to Krokslätt Street in Mölndal, with the company now called Ballografverken AB.
The Ballograf brand was marketed throughout the Nordic countries and soon became well-known. Ballograf was early in launching a ballpoint pen with a push mechanism, which delivered increased user friendliness. In 1956 Ballograf introduced a ballpoint cartridge containing light-fast ink. This was the major breakthrough for the ballpoint pen as it was now possible for public authorities and companies to use it. Ballograf was the leading brand of ballpoint pen in the Nordic countries. Sales were also progressing in other European countries including Austria, Switzerland and Holland.
In 1959 the company was bought by the the french BIC Group since they wanted to establish their business in the Nordic office supplies market.
During 2004 BIC decided to sell the brand, along with manufacture of Ballograf products, to the General Manager of the Nordic operation. The sale was completed on 1st November 2004 and 50% of the company is now owned by